|
第二类是既能带动名词又能带不定式作宾语的动词:attempt, begin, cease, continue, dread, forget, hate, intend, like, neglect, omit, prefer, propose, remember, start, try. 具体使用情形请看下述详细解释:
① 在begin, start, continue, like, hate, cease等后可以使用两种结构,无有区别。如:
Will you continue gardening/to garden after dinner? 饭后你继续干花园的活,好吗?
She likes to be flattered/being flattered. 她喜欢别人奉承她。
② need, want, require, deserve等动词表示“需要,值得”时,有两种结构可以用:一是使用动名词的主动式表被动;二是使用不定式的被动式。两者没有意义上的区别。如:
The flowers want watering. = The flowers want to be watered. 花该浇水了。
My hair needs cutting. = My hair needs to be cut. 我的头发该理了。
His performance deserves praising. = His performance deserves to be praised. 他的工作应该受到表扬。
③ remember, forget, regret等后面使用动词不定式表示未发生的动作;而使用动名词时表示已经发生的动作。如:
I regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you employment. 我很遗憾地通知你我们无法安排你的就业。
I regret being unable to help you. 我很遗憾当时未能帮你。
Don’t forget to post the letter on your way to work. 别忘了上班的路上把信寄走。
I forget posting the letter you gave me thins morning. 我忘了把你今天早上给我的信发走。
④ try后跟动名词表示“试一试”;和动词不定式连用表示“努力,试图”。
This foreign guest tried writing with the Chinese brush. 这位外国客人试着用毛笔写字。
He tried to cheat the old man out of his money. 他试图骗这老头的钱。
⑤ mean, intend后跟动名词表示“意味着”;接不定式表示“打算”。如:
Today, I intend to finish reading this book. 今天我打算读完这本书。
What he said at the meeting means his going abroad next year. 他在会上说的意思是他要出国。
⑥ prefer后使用动名词还是不定式有这么两种情况:当我们谈论一般情况时和当我们说在两种活动之间更喜欢哪一种的时候,一般使用动名词;另一种是和不定式连用,一般用来引导另一个短语。如:
Do you like swimming? ------- Yes, but I prefer sailing.
你喜欢游泳吗?--- 当然。但是我更喜欢驾驶帆船。
Can I give a lift? ----No, thanks, I would prefer to walk.
你顺便坐我的车走好么?---- 不用了,谢谢!我喜欢步行。
I prefer reading to going shoping on weekends. 周末我喜欢读点书,不喜欢逛街。
I would prefer to spend the weekend at home rather than drive/driving all the way to your mother’s.
我觉得与其开车跑那么远到你母亲那里过周末,倒不如在家更好些。
⑦ allow, advise, forbid, permit等在没有人做宾语的情况下接动名词;如果有人做宾语时则用不定式。如:
Sorry, we don’t allow smoking in the lecture room. 对不起,教室不准抽烟。
We don’t allow people to smkoe here. 我们不许人们在这里抽烟。
I wouldn’t advise taking the car --- there’s nowhere to park. 我不建议开车去,因为没有停车的地方。
I wouldn’t advise you to take the car. 我劝你不要开车去。 |
|